Part 3: Correa’s Future
May 4, 2015; Houston, TX, USA; Houston Astros second baseman Jose Altuve (27) fields a ground ball during the fourth inning against the Texas Rangers at Minute Maid Park. Mandatory Credit: Troy Taormina-USA TODAY Sports
CTH: Are you excited about the opportunity to play baseball next to Jose Altuve soon?
Correa: It would be a dream come true for me to play for the Astros and next to a batting champion like Altuve. He’s also a gold glove type of second baseman, which I can see turning many double plays with for many years. I play with an excellent second baseman right now in Tony Kemp, and I think we are near the top of double plays turned in Double-A. I can’t wait to win a championship for Houston with Jose Altuve at my side.
CTH: Some scouts have said that you are too tall to stick at shortstop, that you will move eventually to third base. How do you feel about that?
Correa: I started hearing that a year after I was drafted. I used this as a motivator to prove that I could stay at shortstop. I think that throughout my minor league career, I have demonstrated that I have the skill set to stay at shortstop in the MLB for a long time. But I just like to play baseball, so I will do what the Astros think is best for me.
CTH: Would you rather win the championship with the Hooks or make it to the Astros as a September call-up or earlier?
Correa: That is up to the Astros, wherever they want me I will play baseball to the best of my ability. If they keep me in Corpus Christi, I will try to win a championship with them. If the Astros want me in Fresno, I will try to win the championship there. If I am on the Astros this year, I will try to win the championship with them. I just want to play baseball, the where is not up to me.
CTH: Jeff Luhnow said earlier in the season that you could skip Triple-A if there were a need for you with the Astros. Do you think you would be able to skip Triple-A and not hinder your development?
Correa: I enjoy to play baseball whether it’s in Corpus Christi, Fresno or Houston. I don’t make the decisions, and I can’t play GM and decide where I want to be. I can’t put my GM cap on, I just play baseball. Right now, I’m playing at Double-A, and I’ll let the Astros decide what’s best for me.
CTH: Are there any changes to your game to prevent the injury you had last year?
Correa: That injury happened last year, and I have put it behind me. Injuries happen, and I’m going to keep playing hard, I’m moving on from injury. I have improved my stolen base stats, and I wouldn’t be able to do that if I were careful. I don’t want to be the player that just hits the ball, and moves station to station. I want to be aggressive on the bases and force the action. I want to focus on playing baseball and not focus on how to not get hurt.
CTH: Where do you see yourself in five years?
Correa: Winning a championship with your Houston Astros!
CTH: Thank you, Carlos, by the way you’re hitting down in Double-A, you look like a man around the boys. Speaking of which, are you the youngest player in Double-A?
Correa: Thanks, and I believe that there are three others around the same age or younger in Double-A, including Julio Urias.
Thanks Carlos Correa for taking time out of your schedule to do a phone interview with me. I hope we get to do it again after you make your Astros debut. Thank you Sadi Antonmattei for arranging the interview, and helping me get in contact with Correa. I will be getting in contact with you again Sadi when he makes his debut with the Astros!
The future is coming soon Astros fans, and if Carlos Correa has anything to do with it, it will be great!
Previous Keeping Up with the Astros Prospects
Here are links to my prior interviews:
Astros Prospect: Tony Kemp
Astros Prospects: Joe Sclafani
More from Climbing Tal's Hill
- Just how much better is the Houston Astros playoff rotation than the rest?
- Houston Astros: A Lineup Change to Spark Offense
- Astros prospect Hunter Brown throws 6 shutout innings in debut
- Always faithful Astros World Series champion Josh Reddick defends the title
- Michael Conforto declines Astros’ 2-year, $30 million offer