Astros: Hooks’ Headlines – Carlos Gomez Rehab in Progress
Pitching and Fielding
For all of his struggles, Carlos Gomez can never be accused of a lack of effort as evidenced by his tremendous defensive play this week at Whataburger Field. On Wednesday alone he notched three outfield assists, gunning down two would-be game-tying runners at the plate.
More from Prospects
- Astros 1st-Round Draft Pick Drew Gilbert Done for the Year
- Astros Utility Prospect David Hensley Called Up to MLB
- Who Should the Astros Consider for a September Call-Up?
- Could the Astros Have 2 Rookie Catchers Next Year?
- First-Round Pick Drew Gilbert Already Called Up to Single-A
Kent Emanuel made his first start of the season, and it was a gem. The southpaw threw five innings of one-run ball, earning the win on Friday night. Emanuel’s strong start gives him a 1.80 ERA and 1.000 WHIP going into his next start this week. Only Evan Grills has better marks among Corpus Christi starters this season.
Next: Astros Minors: Newcomer Arturo Michelena Off To Great Start
Brendan McCurry earned a pair of saves in 5 and 2/3rds innings this week in three relief appearances. His only run allowed came via the long ball. McCurry and Aaron West have shared the closer role for most of the season, with 13 saves between the two. West picked up a save and a win this week in two appearances.
***Stats from Baseball-Reference and MiLB.com***