Week 5 Hitter:
Jose Altuve (Owned in 99.2% of all ESPN Fantasy Leagues)
Not only has Altuve been impressive according to Houston standards, but he is also getting attention league wide for his great start. The recipient of AL Player of the Week in the week of April 11th to the 17th, Altuve has a.306 batting average and 1.036 OPS through 25 games this season.
More from Climbing Tal's Hill
- Just how much better is the Houston Astros playoff rotation than the rest?
- Houston Astros: A Lineup Change to Spark Offense
- Astros prospect Hunter Brown throws 6 shutout innings in debut
- Always faithful Astros World Series champion Josh Reddick defends the title
- Michael Conforto declines Astros’ 2-year, $30 million offer
He has been a remarkably valuable fantasy piece not only for his ability to get on base, with a .404 on-base percentage, and to steal bases, with an AL-leading nine in ten attempts, his power has increased dramatically. He has 18 extra base hits with an AL-leading 11 doubles and seven home runs. He also has driven in 14 RBIs from the leadoff spot in the lineup.
With the Astros starting a ten game homestand, Altuve has been known to be very successful at Minute Maid Park. In 2016, he has hit .381 through 10 games with nine extra-base hits and eight RBIs. He compares that with a .250 average on the road.
Like George Springer batting second, the Astros need Altuve to provide offense for them to be successful. This will prove well for fantasy owners once the Astros offense gets to where it was expected to be.
Next: Week 5 Pitcher