Week 3 Hitter:
Colby Rasmus (Owned in 62.4% of ESPN Fantasy Leagues)
Rasmus feels at home in a Houston uniform. After being the first player in MLB history to accept the qualifying offer from their team, Rasmus has been doing very well at the start of the 2016 season.
More from Astros News
- Just how much better is the Houston Astros playoff rotation than the rest?
- Houston Astros: A Lineup Change to Spark Offense
- Astros prospect Hunter Brown throws 6 shutout innings in debut
- Always faithful Astros World Series champion Josh Reddick defends the title
- Michael Conforto declines Astros’ 2-year, $30 million offer
Through 13 games played, Rasmus has hit .282 with three home runs and 8 RBIs with six runs scored.
Usually batting cleanup in this powerful Astros lineup, Rasmus has surprised people with his plate discipline to start the season. Through 13 games, Rasmus has walked 11 times compared to 13 strikeouts, which is to be expected, with a .431 OBP.
These walks are very important because not only do they allow him to generate runs for himself, but creates opportunities for the hitters below him including the slumping centerfielder Carlos Gomez, or breakout rookie first baseman Tyler White. Rasmus taking a walk now and then elongates an already offensively deep lineup and can generate more runs.
Going into the Rangers series in Arlington and then coming back for three against Boston, Rasmus has to be the core offensive piece that the cleanup spot is expected to be. That will not only prove well for the Astros but for fantasy owners as well.
Next: Week 3 Pitcher