Week 3 Pitcher:
Luke Gregerson (Owned in 71.3% of ESPN Fantasy Leagues)
As the 2016 season goes into its third week, the rival Rangers are playing host to the first meeting in the Lone Star Series this week. These are huge games that might decide who wins the division come September, so winning the first series at Arlington would set the tone for the rest of those games. Gregerson needs to be at his top form at the end of these games for those games to end in the Astros favor.
More from Climbing Tal's Hill
- Just how much better is the Houston Astros playoff rotation than the rest?
- Houston Astros: A Lineup Change to Spark Offense
- Astros prospect Hunter Brown throws 6 shutout innings in debut
- Always faithful Astros World Series champion Josh Reddick defends the title
- Michael Conforto declines Astros’ 2-year, $30 million offer
After the speculation of who was going to be closer after the signing of Ken Giles, Gregerson came out in 2016 and has planted himself in that closer role. In 5 appearances, Gregerson has recorded four saves in 4 opportunities, recorded four strikeouts, has a 0.60 WHIP, and hasn’t allowed a run.
Overall too, Gregerson was a reliable closer for the Astros last year as well, recording 31 saves in 36 opportunities and a 3.10 ERA. Also, his walk total was at a career low ten last year with a WHIP of 0.95.
Proving early in 2016 to be the lights-out closer the Astros need, Gregerson needs to be the guy at the back end of the bullpen to close games. Fantasy owners and Astros fans alike, after this week, should not have to question Gregerson’s ability at the back end of the bullpen.