Astros Class-A Report: Quad Cities River Bandits (August 22-28)
The Midwest League recently honored Astros minor leaguers, River Bandits’ infielder Nick Tanielu, former catcher Jacob Nottingham, and Manager Josh Bonifay. Tanielu and Nottingham were named Post Season All-Stars, and Bonifay is the League’s Manager of the Year.
Tanielu and Nottingham were mid-season All-Star starters, both among league leaders in several offensive categories. Tanielu is second in the league in batting (.309), while Nottingham was first promoted to Lancaster, and then was traded, along with pitcher Daniel Mengden, to the Oakland organization, for pitcher Scott Kazmir. Bonifay, in his first season managing the River Bandits, previously won Manager of the Year in 2013 for the Greeneville Astros of the Appalachian League.
More from Prospects
- Astros 1st-Round Draft Pick Drew Gilbert Done for the Year
- Astros Utility Prospect David Hensley Called Up to MLB
- Who Should the Astros Consider for a September Call-Up?
- Could the Astros Have 2 Rookie Catchers Next Year?
- First-Round Pick Drew Gilbert Already Called Up to Single-A
The River Bandits were 5-2 this week, winning their last three, and four out of five. The wins brought the team to 38-22 in the second half and moved Quad Cities into second place in the Western Division, 2.5 games behind Kane County. Their 83-45 overall record in 2015 is one of the best in professional baseball.
Tanielu’s .309 average leads the Bandits and is second in the league. The third baseman is a consistent leader in hitting for Quad Cities, hitting .316 in his last ten games, maintaining that pace for most of the past month.
The bad news is, the season will soon be over, and the best of these players will move up to Lancaster for next year. The good news is, there are a number of promising prospects on the Rookie and Short-Season Class-A Astros teams to take their places at Quad Cities.
Cover photo courtesy of @QCBanditPhotog.
- RHP Jacob Dorris was promoted on August 25 to Quad Cities from the Tri-City Valley Cats.
- RHP Rogelio Armenteros was also promoted on the same day as Dorris to Quad Cities.
- RHP Ryan Thompson moved up to High-A Lancaster on August 25, in the third roster move of the day.
- RHP Jorge Perez was suspended by the River Bandits on August 24. No reason was given.
- 3B Wander Franco made the jump on August 28 to Quad Cities from the Gulf Coast League Astros.
- RHP Juan Robles was also promoted on August 28 from the GCL Astros to the River Bandits.
- Woodward jumped from Quad Cities on August 29, to the Fresno Grizzlies. This may be a temporary move for Woodward to replace Max Stassi, who was called up to the Astros while Jason Castro is on the Disabled List.