Houston Astros offseason news, rumors, 2023 payroll, and more
Fresh off of their second World Series championship in Franchise history, the Houston Astros will look to repeat heading into 2023. 106 wins and a World Series championship made Houston's 2022 season a resounding success.
They've locked up their manager Dusty Baker for another year, but in the press conference, owner Jim Crane alluded to his never satisfied approach being a reason for their success, adding that he is always looking for improvement.
In improving, the Astros are not without looming questions heading into next season. Does their (announcement pending) Cy Young winner, Justin Verlander, return on a short-term, high AAV contract, or does Houston look to spend elsewhere? What do they do with aging veterans Yuli Gurriel and Michael Brantley? Has Chas McCormick finally locked up the center field position for good?
Crane alluded to having the necessary resources to add depth to the team. In year's past, that depth has been a veteran on a short-term, high AAV contract (i.e. Brantley, Brian McCann, etc.). Do they use their resources on a proven veteran on a short contract like Jose Abreu? Is a left-fielder like Andrew Benintendi in play? Or do they look for a new DH with James Click saying Yordan is "trending" to be the everyday left fielder next year.
Speaking of Click, shortly after extending Baker, it was announced the organization had parted ways with both General Manager James Click and Assistant GM Scott Powers. They have promoted Bill Firkus and Charles Cook both to Assistant GM, but it is currently unclear if they will function in 2023 with a GM by committee approach, or if they have a more permanent solution in mind.
At what point do the Astros try to lock up their young talent for the future? Plenty of young cornerstones are headed for arbitration. Does Kyle Tucker, Cristian Javier or Framber Valdez get a long-term extension this offseason? What about ALCS and World Series MVP Jeremy Peña?
While they've got questions to answer, one thing is for sure: until another team comes and takes it from them, expect the Astros to remain the class of the American League West next year, and pencil them in for a seventh consecutive trip to the ALCS next October.
Astros' 2023 payroll information
Astros' 2023 projected payroll as of today: $160,686,672
Astros 2023 projected Tax Payroll (Active + Est. Arb + Est. Pre-Arb): $177,793,816
Astros' payroll information available via Sportrac
Astros' 2022-2023 transactions
- The Astros and free-agent first baseman Jose Abreu are in agreement on a three-year deal
- SP Justin Verlander opted out of his contract for 2023, making him a free agent. He then signed with the New York Mets
- The Astros declined the 2023 options for deadline acquisitions Trey Mancini and Will Smith
- The Astros and Rafael Montero are in agreement on a three-year, $34.5M deal
- The Astros and General Manager James Click have parted ways.
- Dusty Baker signed a one-year deal to return as Astros Manager in 2023.
- 1B Coach Omar Lopez and Bench Coach Joe Espada will return to the Astros for the 2023 season
- Josh James was non-tendered by the Astros
Astros' 2022-2023 rumors
- Astros rumored to trade for Sean Murphy
- Astros a serious contender to land Willson Contreras
Astros' arbitration eligible players (and projected salaries for 2023)
- RP Phil Maton : $2.5MM
- RP Ryne Stanek: $3.1MM
- SP Framber Valdez: $7.4MM
- RF Kyle Tucker: $5.6MM
- SP Jose Urquidy: $3.2MM
- SP Cristian Javier: $3.3MM
- RP Blake Taylor: $800K
- Util Mauricio Dubon: $1.2MM
All projections provided by MLBTradeRumors.com
Astros' Free Agents
- SP Justin Verlander: declined player option
- LF Michael Brantley: free agent
- 1B Yuli Gurriel: free agent
- Util Aledmys Diaz: free agent
- C Jason Castro: free agent
- RP Rafael Montero: free agent
- C Cristian Vasquez: free agent
- 1B Trey Mancini: declined mutual option
- RP Will Smith: declined team option
Astros' top prospects for 2023
- P Hunter Brown
- OF Drew Gilbert
- C/1B Yainer Diaz
- CF Pedro Leon
- OF Colin Barber
- OF Jacob Melton
- C Korey Lee
- OF Ryan Clifford
- 3B Joe Perez
- RHP Forrest Whitley
Rankings provided by MLB Pipeline
Be sure to check back often! We’ll be updating this tracker throughout the offseason!