Career Astros Statistics
- Seasons Played: 9 (1995-2003)
- Primary Position(s) Played: LHP
- Career Pitcher WAR: 16.1 (Ranked 14th in Astros history)
- Earned Run Average: 2.53 (Ranked 3rd in Astros history)
- Strikeouts per 9 IP: 12.385 (Ranked 1st in Astros history)
- Walks & Hits per IP: 1.039 (Ranked 1st in Astros history)
- Saves: 225 (Ranked 1st in Astros history)
At first glance, Billy Wagner wouldn’t have appeared to be a very intimidating presence on the mound. He was a wiry, five foot ten inch with 180 pound left-hander… That was until Wagner let go of his devastating 100mph-plus fastball. Billy Wagner was by Houston in 1993. He toiled around the minors as a starting pitcher, until he made his MLB debut in 1995.
After a few trips back and forth between the minor and major leagues, he was finally brought up full time in 1996 as a relief pitcher. Wagner would never look back. During his time with Houston, Billy Wagner won the 1999 NL Relief Man of the Year Award, appeared in three All-Star teams, finishing fourth in the 1999 NL Cy Young voting, and closed out a combined no-hitter thrown by a record six pitchers against the New York Yankees in 2003. Billy Wagner would continue on his building his great career after he was traded to Philadelphia Phillies following the 2003 season.