Astros Fantasy Baseball Draft Position and Rankings
There should be plenty of Astros players for your fantasy lineup.
It’s Opening Day for Major League Baseball, but the world of fantasy baseball has charged full steam ahead for months now. Since just about type of league has drafted by now, it’s high time to take a look at what the fantasy community thinks of the Astros.
FantasyPros.com has an aggregator that compares the ranking and average draft positions (ADP) from across ESPN, Yahoo, and CBS. Among the top 100 fantasy players ranked, the Astros bring in 8 total. It starts with Jose Altuve and ends with Lance McCullers.
Here is a look at some of the data from the FantasyPros consensus rankings:
- Jose Altuve– Fantasy Pros Rank: 2nd, Overall ADP: 2nd, Among 2nd Basemen: 1st.
- Carlos Correa – Fantasy Pros Rank: 13th Overall ADP: 14th, Among Shortstops: 2nd (behind Trae Turner).
- George Springer – Fantasy Pros Rank: 23rd, Overall ADP: 27th, Among Outfielders: 8th (directly behind Aaron Judge).
- Alex Bregman: Fantasy Pros Rank: 40th, Overall ADP: 39th, Among 3rd Basemen: 6th
- Justin Verlander: Fantasy Pros Rank: 46th, Overall ADP: 35, Among Starting Pitchers: 10th
- Dallas Keuchel: Fantasy Pros Rank: 72nd, Overall ADP: 59th, Among Starting Pitchers: 20th
- Gerrit Cole: Fantasy Pros Rank: 91, Overall ADP: 76, Among Starting PItchers: 25th
- Lance McCullers: Fantasy Pros Rank: 100th, Overall ADP: 115th, Among Starting Pitchers: 28th.
Of note, there are three main storylines involving Astros in fantasy baseball.
Heath Cummings of CBS has gone on record multiple times on the CBS Fantasy Baseball Today podcast that he has Altuve ranked ahead of Mike Trout overall. As easy as it is for Astros fans to believe that, the fantasy community has a hard time buying in. In general, Altuve’s fantasy value relies heavily on his sustaining his home run and stolen base counts.
Despite the ADP and overall ranking of Justin Verlander, Bobby Sylvester of the FantasyPros Baseball Podcast believes that Verlander should be slotted in right behind the big four of Kershaw, Scherzer, Sale, and Kluber.
The fantasy community is very bullish on Alex Bregman. Despite early struggles in both of the last two seasons, Bregman continues to climb in ADP, especially in dynasty leagues. Some experts, such as Jim Sannes of numberFire, believe that Bregman has not shown enough power or base stealing numbers to merit the first round value that some are predicting.
All-in-all, the Astros have had a very strong showing throughout the draft season in fantasy baseball. Nearly the entire infield is being drafted within the first four rounds and they four pitchers are going among the Top 100 players overall.
Next: Houston Astros: Let’s talk about repeating…It’s hard.
Other notable names being drafted are Marwin Gonzales, Ken Giles, and Kyle Tucker. Marwin has eligibility for just about every position and so becomes very valuable. Giles can be an elite closer and get saves for fantasy owners. And Kyle Tucker is…the next big thing not named Ronald Acuna it seems.