25-Man Roster as of Today
By Editorial Staff
I haven’t updated the current Houston 25-man roster since before the Rule V draft and the Bill Hall signing. However, outside of those two moves, it really hasn’t changed too much. Here is how the roster would be set if the season started tomorrow.
2. Wandy (L)
4. Happ (L)
1. Lyon: Will open 2011 as the closer.
5. A. Rodriguez: Will compete with Jeff Fulchino, Ernerio Del Rosario, and Lance Pendleton
6. Rowland-Smith (L): Has a chance at 5th rotation spot along with Lance Pendleton and Aneury Rodriguez
7. Abad (L): I’m hoping the Astros will put 3 lefties on the 25-man roster but it may look more like this with their depth of right-handed pitching. Another left-handed reliever could still be acquired and my guess would be Tim Byrdak who was with the Astros last season. Byrdak is impeccable against left-handed hitting which could be even more important in the bullpen if Ryan Rowland-Smith wins the fifth starter job. And while I hope for 3 effective lefties, if Houston enters the season with Chacin in the pen, I’ll be worried.
1. CF Bourn
2. C Castro (L)
3. RF Pence
4. LF Lee
5. 3B Johnson
6. 1B Wallace (L)
7. 2B Hall
8. SS Barmes
1. C Quintero
2. INF A. Sanchez: This could also be shared with Tommy Manzella or Edwin Maysonet.
3. INF Keppinger
4. OF Bogusevic (L): Primary left-handed bat off the bench.
5. OF Michaels: This spot is either Michaels or Borgeouis but since Michaels is making almost a million dollars in 2011, the spot is probably his.
The roster is certainly shaping up and save for left-handed relief and left-handed hitters, the completion of a 25 man unit worthy of competing for a division title seems possible.