Even with three of the best players in baseball, the Angels couldn’t be contenders.
Los Angles Angels
- Janson Junk – RHP (prospect)
- Elvis Peguero – RHP (prospect)
- Sam Selman – LHP (prospect)
- Ivan Armstrong – RHP (prospect)
- Jose Marte – RHP (prospect)
Players Given Up:
- Andrew Heaney – LHP
- Rafael Montero – RHP
The Los Angles Angels are in the one of the most perplexing teams in the entire major leagues. They are currently have two of the game’s biggest stars in Shohei Ohtani and Mike Trout. Additionally, they also have solid veteran players, like closer Raisel Iglesias, third baseman Anthony Rendon, and starter Alex Cobb. However, they are sitting at a .500 record and 6 games out of the second Wild Card spot in the American League.
More from Climbing Tal's Hill
- Just how much better is the Houston Astros playoff rotation than the rest?
- Houston Astros: A Lineup Change to Spark Offense
- Astros prospect Hunter Brown throws 6 shutout innings in debut
- Always faithful Astros World Series champion Josh Reddick defends the title
- Michael Conforto declines Astros’ 2-year, $30 million offer
Frankly, the team has been plagued with inconsistent pitching and a myriad of injuries. So, it would make sense that they would be sellers looking at the standings in the division and wild card race.
As affirmed by the Angels shipping Andrew Heaney to the New York Yankee and Tony Watson to the San Francisco Giants for prospects. Okay. That makes sense. Until the report that the Angels were making a pitch for Max Scherzer, according to Jon Heyman of MLB Network.
Maybe this was just a half-hearted attempt at appeasing the fans. Perhaps, Los Angles Angels General Manager, Perry Minasian, thought the Angles have a legitimate shot at a deep playoff run with the addition of Scherzer.
Regardless, it’s all moot. The Angels moves prior to the deadline created more holes than it filled. Unless the Angels know some kind of shaman that can magically heal up the roster, they are going to continue to muddle around .500. But, hey, they got Shohei and he is fun as can be.