Social media is changing the way we follow sports. This is not a new thought or a revolutionary thought. If you ask me, it is a change for the better. The Astros have been, in my humble opinion, ahead of the curve in embracing social media and adding to the fan experience. This morning Kelly George has released some details about the first two Social Media nights of the 2013 season.
Here are the first two dates (both of which are for Thursday games):
- April 19th vs. the Cleveland Indians at 7:10 pm
- May 9th vs. the LA Angels at 7:10 pm
Now that we have the dates, let’s take a look at some exciting details about these nights.
- Tickets for these games will go on sale at the same time single game tickets on sale and will cost $30 each
- The pre-game fan reception will be taking place this season in the Five Seven Grill. This is where the player meet and greet as well as the visit from Orbit will be
- There will be batting practice access
- You will receive a Social Media Night T-shirt
There are a few things that stand out to me about this exciting event that are different from last season. First of all the pre-game events will be taking place in the Five Seven grill, but the seats for this season’s games are in the Field Box II seating area. Between the batting practice access and the field level seating, you will be close to the action. And as a last surprise, every attendee will have the chance to win the opportunity to attend the post-game press conference. This would be as the Astros fan correspondent for that game.
As the Astros are rebuilding and in transition, it is events like this that build and encourage fan loyalty.